MONTREAL ——Michael Phelps will swim in Montreal this weekend in his final tuneup before next month's U.S. championships in Indianapolis.
The Olympic great and Rodgers Forge native will compete in the Canada Cup at Olympic Park Pool. The U.S. championships serve as trials for swimming's world championships in Rome in July.
- Sun In-Depth: Michael Phelps
- Michael Phelps [Pictures]
- Michael Phelps away from the pool [Pictures]
- Pictures: Michael Phelps' 22 Olympic medals
- Casting the Michael Phelps movie [Pictures]
- Pictures: Michael Phelps gives swim lessons to city students
See more photos »
- VIDEO: Olympics 2012: Michael Phelps in London
"I'm looking forward to competing here again," Phelps said. "The event in '05 was amazing, and I'm sure it's going to be amazing this weekend. Let's see that we can have some fast racing and go from there."
"Hopefully," he added, "I can get to see more of the town this time while I'm here."
Phelps won a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics last summer and set seven world records, becoming the most decorated Olympic athlete in history.
The 14-time Olympic gold medalist is coming off two losses at the Santa Clara International Grand Prix last weekend. He was beaten in the 100-meter freestyle and 100 backstroke on Sunday. He won the 200 butterfly last Friday and the 400 free on Saturday.
Phelps is the second star from the Beijing Games to compete in Canada this month. Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt competed in Toronto last week.