Virginia midfielder Carl Walrath has been charged with felony assault of a police officer after an incident near the campus in November, according to multiple reports.
Walrath, who also is facing three misdemeanor counts, was among as many as 10 people involved in a fight about 2 a.m. Nov. 24 near the campus, the reports said. Police said when they approached the group to stop, Walrath punched an officer in the face and fled on foot. He was later arrested and released on bond. He is due back in court in January.
Coming out of high school in 2011, Walrath was ranked the No. 5 recruit in the country by Inside Lacrosse. He played in nine games last season off the bench; he finished with one assist, six ground balls and one caused turnover. After the season, he was chosen to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Team.
- Auburn lacrosse player charged with 'Grand Theft Auto' spree
- 2014 local men's college lacrosse [Pictures]
- National lacrosse Players of the Week 2014 season
- Quint Kessenich's 2014 college lacrosse storylines: A primer from A to Z
- Looking at the top college men's lacrosse teams for 2014
- 2013 men's college lacrosse: April-May [Pictures]
See more photos »
Read and watch the report from CBS 19 in Charlottesville here.