Team STX jumped out to a 5-0 lead and held on for a 10-9 win over Maverik United on the LXM Pro Tour in the Dallas suburb of Oak Point on Saturday afternoon.
Goalie Matt Russell (Navy) returned after missing one game with a broken thumb to make 12 saves and earn the victory at Makarow Polo Farms. Maverik played without one of its top scorers this season, former Chespeake Bayhawk Johnny Christmas (18 goals, seven assists).
Xander Ritz (Maryland) and 2012 Tewaaraton Award winner Peter Baum of Colgate scored twice as STX took a 7-3 lead into halftime. Maverik's Erik Krum (Salisbury) got a pair of goals in the second half and former North Carolina star Billy Bitter had three, including the final two of the game, but Maverik couldn't manage the tying goal.
- Xander Ritz leads STX to comeback win over Maverik in LXM Pro
- 2014 Federation of International Lacrosse World Championships [Pictures]
- 2014 NCAA Lacrosse Final Four coverage
- 2014 local men's college lacrosse [Pictures]
- National lacrosse Players of the Week 2014 season
- Quint Kessenich: Previewing the NCAA semifinals
See more photos »
For STX, Kyle Harrison (Johns Hopkins, Friends) had two goals and an assist in the game, and Sam Bradman (Salisbury) scored once on a team-high 10 shots.
In the Maverik net, Johnny Rodriguez, (Salisbury, Mount St. Joseph) finished with 21 saves.
STX leads the series, 5-2, this year; the tour will resume Nov. 23 in Tucson Ariz.