Nick Leddy, Jarret Stoll, Marcus Kruger, Corey Crawford

Kings center Jarret Stoll (28) watches the puck sail past Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford for the winning goal in overtime in Game 7 on Sunday night in Chicago. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times / June 1, 2014)

The Kings have advanced to the Stanley Cup Final by defeating the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks, 5-4 in overtime, tonight at the United Center in Game 7 of the Western Conference finals.

Kings defenseman Alec Martinez shot inside the blue line off a pass from Justin Williams -- who's now 7-0 in Game 7s -- and the puck deflected off Blackhawks defenseman Nick Leddy and into the goal past teammate Jarret Stoll and Chicago goalie Corey Crawford at 5:47 of overtime.

The Kings, who won the 2012 championship, will host Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday night at Staples Center against the Eastern Conference champion New York Rangers.

The Kings became the first NHL team to win three Game 7s on the road in the playoffs. They are also 7-0 in elimination games this postseason.

The Blackhawks, who never trailed in the game until the finish, scored the first two goals of the game and led, 3-2, at the end of a wild first period. Kings rookie forward Tyler Toffoli tied the score midway through the second period before winger Patrick Sharp gave Chicago its final lead eight minutes later.

Kings left wing Marian Gaborik tied the score at 12:43 of the third period when he knocked in a rebound after right wing Dustin Brown's shot from the slot was deflected by Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford.

Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick, who finished with 37 saves, made some clutch stops in the final minute, smothering a last-ditch shot by Blackhawks center Andrew Shaw with 5.3 seconds left.

Crawford stopped 27 of 32 shots in the game.

Kings 5, Blackhawks 4 (final)

Kings right wing Dustin Brown tries to get a shot through traffic but it hits a body.

Blackhaws right wing Patrick Sharp looking for hat trick, can't get an open shot.

Left wing Patrick Kane on the ice for Chicago. Kings goalie Jonathan Quick grabs a shot that flipped up off Kane's stick. Kane sighs. Kane tries again but is wide to Quick's right.

Fans loving the effort here. On feet again, waving red towels, barking "Let's Go Hawks!"

Kings defenseman Alec Martinez fires a shot through traffic, and it goes in. Kings win!

Kings 4, Blackhawks 4 (early in overtime)

Overtime is underway in Game 7 of the Western Conference finals at Chicago's United Center.

Kings right wing Dustin Brown moves in, but can't penetrate for a shot.

Goalie Jonathan Quick knocks away a shot by Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith. Kings defenseman Matt Greene fires wide after L.A. collects a turnover.

Kings defenseman Alec Martinez dives to stop a Chicago rush. Blackhawks winger Brandon Saad is denied on a counter attack and goes hard into the boards. He gets up slowly but appears uninjured as he returns to the bench.

Kings 4, Blackhawks 4 (third intermission)

This will be the first Game 7 overtime in the conference finals since 1994, when the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils waged such a war.