Forget the ninety-two minutes that it took the United States to score their lone goal and secure a birth into the knock-out round of the World Cup today. Forget the eight hours and six minutes that it took for Harold Baines and the Chicago White Sox to beat the Milwaukee Brewers in 1984. You can even forget the 1971 AFC Divisional playoff game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins. That marathon saw Len Dawson and Bob Griese, two former Purdue quarterbacks and Hall of Famers, battle for an NFL record eighty-two minutes and forty seconds of game time.

American John Isner and Nicolas Mahut of France have them all beat.

In what has absolutely shattered the previous record for longest tennis match, Isner and Mahut have battled for exactly ten hours in their first-round match at Wimbledon. The match began on Tuesday and was suspended after four sets because of darkness. No problem, right?

The two should have just picked up where they left off when play resumed Wednesday morning. Someone should have made a few key mistakes in that fifth and final set and the winner should have advanced in their pursuit of a win on Tennis' grandest stage. Seven hours and six minutes later, and with the fans chanting, "We want more," play has been suspended again with that decisive set deadlocked at 59-59.

Isner and Mahut's fifth set alone is enough to break the full-match record of six hours and thirty-three minutes in 2004 when Arnaud Clement and Fabrice Santoro went toe to toe in the French Open. The match has broken several of Wimbledon's records including points played (881) and aces served (98 for Isner, 95 for Mahut) and it's still not over. What makes this battle even more amazing is that Wimbledon's history dates all the way back to 1877.

Play will resume for a third day on Thursday which is somewhat similar to what Hoosiers saw a few weeks ago in the Class 4A softball state title game between Hamilton Southeastern and Terre Haute North. That game was delayed on two occasions due to rain with the game beginning on a Saturday, resuming on Monday, but not being completed until Tuesday. HSE scored the 3-1 win, but what makes Isner and Mahut's accomplishment more incredible then any softball, football, or baseball game is that they have no teammates to fall back on for those ten hours. No substitutions, no defenses taking the field, no lineup changes.

Both men looked understandably fatigued after play was suspended for a second time, and who knows what this type of match will do to their chances of winning the entire tournament. After what John Isner and Nicolas Muhut have put each other through in the past two days however it's unclear if it matters. This is historyÂ…or better yet, this will be history, whenever the two decide this match should end.