The freshman broke a 20-year-old scoring record by two shots to win the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association individual golf championship May 1 at Bulle Rock in Havre de Grace. His 71-73-70-214 won by five strokes. The 5-foot-9, 130-pound 15-year-old is believed to be only the second freshman to ever win the title. Navarro's coach, Pete VanZandt, said the teen has the perfect disposition for golf success, never letting his emotions get the best of him. "He never seems to feel the pressure," VanZandt said. "There were several more experienced seniors right behind him and his response was to go out and shoot 70, the lowest round of the tournament."
Others considered: Matt Collins, Gilman, baseball; Gordie Koerber, Gilman, lacrosse; Jason Lawrence, Fallston, lacrosse; Fyne Ndukwe, Overlea, track and field; Julian Woods, Century, track and field.
Boys Athlete of the Week: Chris Navarro, Archbishop Spalding, golf
- Athletes of the Week: 2011-12
- Girls Athlete of the Week: Deb Milani, Catonsville, lacrosse
- Varsity Letters: Your guide to local high school sports
- National Signing Day 2014 [Pictures]
- National Signing Day ceremonies [Pictures]
- February-March [Pictures]
See more photos »
Archbishop Spalding High School, 8080 New Cut Rd, Severn, MD 21144, USA