Last year, Mount St. Joseph guard Kameron Williams opened eyes with a breakthrough sophomore season that earned him first-team All-Baltimore Catholic League honors.
This season, he has done even more in leading the No. 5 Gaels (24-6) to a first-place finish in the BCL and the top seed in the upcoming playoffs.
Averaging 18 points, four rebounds and two assists in his second year on varsity, the 6-foot-2 Williams was named the BCL Player of the Year at the league’s annual banquet Monday night at Snyder’s Restaurant in Linthicum.
“This feels really good. It just lets me know all the hard work, all the extra time in the weight room, running sprints, it just lets me know it’s paying off,” Williams said. “There’s no easy games in the BCL. They’re all very hardfought games, very intense, and I’m just happy to receive this honor.”
Well aware that opponents would be keying on him more this season, Williams worked hard on improving each facet of his game, and it showed as he developed into a complete player.
“Before the season, we talked about how he wouldn’t be able to sneak up on teams and he really worked hard improving his weaknesses,” Mount St. Joseph coach Pat Clatchey said. “We’ve really looked to him and wouldn’t be anywhere near where we’re at without him.”
Calvert Hall senior Julian Davis was chosen as the Mark Amatucci Defensive Player of the Year; Archbishop Spalding junior Earl Potts was named the Cokey Robertson Most Improved Player; and Spalding’s Derrick Lewis was selected as the O. Ray Mullis Coach of the Year.
All the selections were made based on voting from league coaches. The BCL tournament will take place from Friday through Sunday at Stevenson. On Friday, the first of four quarterfinal games will start at 3:30 p.m. The semifinals will take place Saturday at 5 and 7 p.m. with the championship game scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday.
Following are the rest of the league’s honorees.
All-BCL first team
• Phil Booth, Mount St. Joseph, sophomore
• Greg Brown, Archbishop Spalding, senior
• Daquan Cook, St. Frances, senior
• Jarred Jones, John Carroll, senior
• Denzel Richardson, Calvert Hall, senior
All-BCL second team
• Justin Beck, Calvert Hall, senior
• Earl Potts, Archbishop Spalding, junior
• Tevon Saddler, St. Frances, junior
• Dan Vigus, Loyola, senior
• Yannick Zanfack, St. Maria Goretti, senior
• Rodney Elliott, John Carroll
• Justin Jenifer, John Carroll
• Jordan Floyd, Loyola
• Corey Groom, Mt. Carmel
• Martin Eber, St. Maria Goretti
• Lavon Long, Mount St. Joseph
• Rashard Todd, Mt. Carmel
Dave Kropfelder Never, Never Quit Awards
(selected by each team’s coach)
• George Allender, Archbishop Spalding
• Thomas Blake, St. Maria Goretti
• Denny Grace, Calvert Hall
• Marcus James, John Carroll
• Taylor Janoskie, Loyola
• Corey Jones, St. Frances
• Phillip Lawrence, Mount St. Joseph
• Malachy Onwudiegwu, Mt. CarmelCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun