The golf course at McDaniel College will host a different kind of athlete next month when the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association holds its cross country state championship meet there on Nov. 9.
The meet, usually held at Hereford, had to be moved this year because of construction at the school. The MPSSAA reached a preliminary agreement with McDaniel in August and finalized the deal this month.
McDaniel hosted the state championship in 1991 and 1992 when construction was also ongoing at Hereford, but otherwise the state meet has been held at the Baltimore County school every year since 1980.
- Agreement in place to move state cross country championships to McDaniel College
- Mixed feelings on shift of cross country state championship meet
- The Baltimore Sun's 2014 Spring All-Metro
- High school sports championships [Pictures]
- National Signing Day 2014 [Pictures]
- National Signing Day ceremonies [Pictures]
See more photos »
Hereford's challening course -- also home to the popular Bull Run Invitational, which draws more than 100 teams each year -- is expected to be ready for next season. Local coaches had mixed feelings when asked in September about being forced to move the state meet this year.