The first week of public school football was a tough one for teams not in the Top 5 and even a couple of those had to come from behind – No. 2 River Hill against Glenelg and No. 4 Old Mill against Broadneck. Only one public school team outside the Top 5 won – Arundel but most of the others were very close.
The MIAA is rolling along in the non-conference part of the season with every ranked team winning, except Gilman, which fell on the road Sunday at Paramus Catholic, N.J., a team ranked No. 4 in USA Today’s Super 25. Here’s a look at how the Top 15 teams fared over the weekend. And who's up next. Some games will be played Thursday this week because of the Yom Kippur holiday, which begins Friday evening.
Look for the new rankings in Tuesday’s paper.
Ranking/Team/Record/Last result/Next opponent
1. Gilman/1-2/Lost to Paramus Catholic, N.J. 28-0/Anacostia, D.C., Sept. 20
2. River Hill/1-0/Def. Glenelg 7-3/Vs. Marriotts Ridge, Thurs.
3. Meade/1-0/Def. Glen Burnie 23-0/At South River, Thurs.
4. Old Mill/1-0/Def. Broadneck 35-21/Vs. Arundel, Thurs.
5. Calvert Hall/1-2/Def. Franklin 28-14/Vs. Good Counsel, Fri.
6. Dunbar/0-1/Lost to Mansfield, Mass. 29-26/At Mervo, Fri.
7. Westminster/0-1/Lost to Middletown 19-14/Vs. Linganore, Thurs.
8. McDonogh/3-0/Def. Haverford, Pa. 42-0/Vs. Penn Charter, Pa., Fri.
9. Milford Mill/0-1/Lost to North Hagerstown 20-16/At Hereford, Thurs.
10. Franklin/0-1/Lost to Calvert Hall 28-14/Vs. New Town, Thurs.
11. Arundel/1-0/Def. Severna Park 38-14/At Old Mill, Thurs.
12. Mount St. Joseph/1-1/Def. St. Alban’s 48-28/At Landon, Thurs.
13. Archbishop Spalding/2-0/Def. St. Mary’s 41-14/Vs. Cape Helopen, Del., Fri.
14. St. Paul’s/2-0/Def. Hereford 35-21/Vs. Pallotti, Fri.
15. Perry Hall/0-1/Lost to North Harford 9-7/Vs. Towson, Thurs.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun