The high school football season continued its strange turn in Week Nine with big surprises for two defending state champions.
Edmondson shocked No. 5 Dunbar and Howard dealt No. 7 River Hill its second loss in three weeks. Three other teams in The Baltimore Sun's Top 15 lost -- No. 6 Broadneck, No. 8 Archbishop Spalding and No. 14 Milford Mill -- but to teams ranked ahead of them.
Public school teams have one more week to solidify their spots in the top four of their regional standings to advance to the playoffs beginning on Nov. 15.
All of the MIAA titles will be decided Saturday as No. 10 Archbishop Curley and No. 11 St. Paul’s, the defending champ, square off in the B Conference final at Archbishop Spalding at 7 p.m. Before that, St. Vincent Pallotti and St. John’s-CP will play for the C Conference crown at 3 p.m.
No. 1 Gilman and No. 2 McDonogh will play for the A Conference title Saturday at 1 p.m. at McDonogh. The A Conference does not have playoffs this season, but two-time defending champ Gilman and McDonogh are undefeated in the conference going into the season finale, so their meeting
will decide the champion.
Check Tuesday’s paper to see how the losses play out in the new rankings. In the meantime, here’s how the Top 15 fared over the weekend:
Ranking/Team/Record/This week’s result/Next opponent
1. Gilman/7-2/Def. St. Frances 35-21/At McDonogh, Saturday
2. McDonogh/10-0/Def. Archbishop Spalding 23-12/Vs. Gilman, Saturday
3. Old Mill/9-0/Def. North County 59-0/Vs. Severna Park, Friday
4. Meade/8-1/Def. Broadneck 26-20/At Arundel, Friday
5. Dunbar/7-2/Lost to Edmondson 14-0/Vs. Southwestern, Friday
6. Broadneck/7-2/Lost to Meade 26-20/At Glen Burnie, Friday
7. River Hill/7-2/Lost to Howard 21-3/Vs. Reservoir, Friday
8. Archbishop Spalding/7-3/Lost to McDonogh 23-12/At Calvert Hall, Friday
9. Glenelg/8-1/Def. Long Reach 21-0/At Atholton, Friday
10. Archbishop Curley/9-1/Def. John Carroll 41-6/Vs. St. Paul’s in B Conference final at Spalding, Saturday
11. St. Paul’s/8-1/Def Boys’ Latin 20-0/Vs. Curley in B Conference final at Spalding, Saturday
12. Perry Hall/8-1/Def. Milford Mill 41-6/Vs. Dundalk, Friday
13. Franklin/7-2/Def. Dundalk 44-7/At Catonsville, Friday
14. Milford Mill/6-3/Lost to Perry Hall 41-6/Vs. Woodlawn, Saturday
15. Fallston/9-0/Def. North Harford 19-14/At Bel Air, FridayCopyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun