Boys Lacrosse: Gerstell can't hang on in MIAA B final

Contact ReporterCarroll County Times

A little more than a month later, the results were still the same.

The John Carroll boys lacrosse team followed its eight-goal victory over Gerstell in mid-April by defeating the Falcons 16-11 in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association B Conference final Thursday at Johns Hopkins' Homewood Field to claim its third straight championship.

John Carroll junior midfielder Jake Krieger scored five goals and teammate Jude Brown, a junior attackman, added three.

Senior attackman Cam Mullinix and senior midfielder Jake Higgins each had three goals for Gerstell. Higgins also won 20 face-offs.

Gerstell led for the entire first half and part of the third quarter before John Carroll (15-5) turned it around and mounted a comeback with better shot placement.

The Falcons led 9-7 midway through the fourth quarter before John Carroll went on a 7-1 run to take control. Paul Poholsky and Krieger had two goals apiece during that sequence.

"When you are 3-for-25 shooting in the first half, you feel you are going to go on a run eventually," John Carroll coach Brian King said. "When they did, it opened up the game for us."

John Carroll led 11-10 after the third quarter and scored the first three goals of the fourth quarter.

"We just ran out of gas at the end and didn't have the energy," Gerstell coach Sean Todd said. "They have 60-something kids in their lacrosse program. We have 25. They can run a lot more guys out there. It's really a depth thing."

Junior Mike Ippolito, who returned for the championship game afetr missing time with an injury, got Gerstell off to a strong start in the first quarter, firing a shot past goalie Jake Lotz (seven saves) for an unassisted goal 6:26 into play. About a minute later, C.J. Kovalsky gave the Falcons a 2-0 lead when he found the back of the goal on a feed from freshman Seth Higgins (three assists).

Gerstell went up 3-0 with 9:48 left in the second quarter. Joey Tabak scored on an assist from Jonathan Hood.

John Carroll finally scored a little over a minute later on Krieger's unassisted goal. The Falcons answered. Kaden Ross placed a shot past Lotz to increase Gerstell's lead to 4-1 with 5:42 remaining.

Nick Rosaschi's goal trimmed the lead to 4-2, but Gerstell finished the second half by scoring three of the last four goals. The Falcons led 7-3 at halftime despite being outshot 25-14.

Joey Rayman added two goals for John Carroll and Ross contributed two goals and an assist.

"We couldn't have played much better than we did in the first half," said Todd, whose team had missed the playoffs the past two years. "But I eventually knew they were going to go on a run. I think they have won like 25 straight conference games. No one has been within eight goals of them in the last two years."

Goals: JC-Jake Krieger 5, Jude Brown 3, Joey Rayman 2, Paul Poholsky 2, Keiron Leonard, Alex Wroe, Nick Rosaschi, Luke Ensor; G- Cam Mullinix 3, Jake Higgins 3, Kaden Ross 2, C.J. Kovalsky, Joey Tabak, Mike Ippolito.

Assists: JC-Will Smithmyer 3, Krieger, Wroe, Rayman, Wroe, Leonard, Henri Maridin, Rosaschi; G-S. Higgins 3, Ross, Tabak, Mullinix, Kovalsky.

Saves: JC-7 (Jake Lotz); G-14 (Tyler Curtis).

Halftime: Gerstell, 7-3.


Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad