No. 1 Glenelg repeats at Class 2A state field hockey champions

CHESTERTOWN — After seeing her team ranked No. 1, Ginger Kincaid worried all season that the only place Glenelg could go was down.

It turned out Kincaid didn't need to worry much. Her Gladiators returned to Washington College Saturday and repeated as Class 2A state champions with a 3-0 win over Poolesville.

"The first time was really new to us. We'd never won before," said Glenelg's Meagan Guthrie, who scored the team's Gladiators' first and last goals.

"To come back this time, the odds were against us, but we were able to pull it off," said fellow senior Alyssa Parker, who beat five defenders to score on a length-of-the-field run and also assisted on Guthrie's second goal. "We really wanted this so badly for Ms. Kincaid."

Glenelg stumbled just once this season on its way to an 18-1 record. Poolesville (13-2) came in having allowed just three goals and been shutout only once. But Glenelg turned out to be "the fastest and quickest we've seen all year," caoch Regina Grubb said.

Poolesville goalie Amy Defnet made 17 saves for the Falcons, including stopping Parker once on a breakaway.

"It was our last game," said Defnet. "I put everything out there that I had and so did my teammates."

Parker — just the second player in antional federation history to total 100 goals and 100 asssits for a career — finishes her historic run with 114 goals and 108 assists.

And she and her fellow seniors leave with two state championships.

"This team has been an extremely special group," Kincaid said. "My emotions throughout the game were of sadness, knowing this was their last game, and happiness, at what they were accomplishing. All week they were loose. At the end of practice yesterday they were begging for five minutes more at a time when most teams don't want to practice at all. That's how much they like each other. They didn't want it to end. The last four years have been as perfect as I could have asked for."

Class 3A

The Class 3A state final game between No. 6 Westminster and No. 15 Mount Hebron seemed headed toward a strokes finish. But with 7:27 left in the second overtime, Westminster's Meghan Macera scored through a thicket of legs, and the Owls won their second consecutive title, 1-0.

A year ago, Westminster (19-3) needed a single overtime to win the 4A title.

"I hope we don't go to strokes next year," Westminster coach Mary Rivera said. "I was hoping for an earlier finish, but they stopped our momentum."

It took until the second overtime, with the seven-on-seven format taking its toll, for sophomore Maddy Walsh to get the ball to Macera in front of the net.

"The two overtimes were really grueling," Macera said. "We're in really good shape, but we were getting tired. I was just in the right place at the right time."

Mt. Hebron (13-6) managed just one shot, as sophomore Caroline Russell anchored the Westminster defense. On the other end, Westminster was forced to contain its frustration, as Mt. Hebron goalie Maddy Fisher made 11 stops.

"At the end, it was really chaotic in front of the net," said Fisher, a junior, who found three of her own defenders and two Westminster forwards crowded in front of her on the final goal. "The ball ricocheted a couple times and then it went in. This is definitely one of the toughest games we've ever played."

It was Mt. Hebron's first trip to the state finals in 10 years. The team left still searching for its first championship, while Westminster claimed its eighth.

Class 4A

Following its 3-1 win I nthe Class 4A final, No. 3 Severna Park had barely finished shaking hands with Bethesda-Chevy Chase when the Falcons (17-2) began pulling new T-shirts over their heads.

The message on the front: "Severna Park State Champions." And on the back: "Lil Shelton's 20th."

“It’s huge for us to get her her 20th,” junior midfielder Marissa Balleza said of her coach. “We’ve worked hard all season just for this one day. This is why we made all those runs, every day, this is all the work paying off.”

Balleza assisted on the Falcons’ first goal by Maeve Doherty with 3:11 left in the first half. She then scored what turned out to be the game-winner 19 seconds into the second half. Samantha Slattery gave the team some room to breathe about 10 minutes later with the third goal.

“Twenty is a rounder number,” said Shelton, the only coach in program history. “My girls played great. They have big hearts and love the game . . .They do everything they need to do.”Bethesda-CC (13-4) answered with 16:44 to play with a goal by Amy Barrett, but that was all Severna Park’s defense would allow.

“You can’t give a team like Severna Park all the chances we did,” Barons coach Amy Wood said. “You’ve got to be on your game mentally from the start. We lost to a great team. Compared to them and the [facilities they have], we’re the Bad News Bears. I’m just so proud of my kids possitive attitude that got us here.”

Class 1A

With a display of speed and tenacity, Fallston defeated  18-time champion Pocomoke, 4-2, in Saturday night's Class 1A championship game.

For Fallston (14-2), it was the program's 13th championship. It’s last one came in Class 2A in 2009.

“We played with a lot of heart and beat them to the ball,” Fallston coach Megan Grant said. “We had great passion and we were hungry in front of the net.”

Senior midfielder Jenna Mosketti got the scoring started at 19:51 of the first half, and 10 minutes later junior Marisa Perfetti (goal and assist) found the net. Junior Danielle McDiarmid also scored to get the Cougars off to a 3-0 lead. Jordan Wagner added Fallston’s final goal in the second half.

Pocomoke (15-4) was the eight-time defending champ. The Warriors got two goals from Shelby Woods in a span of 2:08, the second coming with 5:18 to play. Pocomoke goalie Alexis Dize made 15 saves.

“It just feels great to win,” Mosketti said. “I was here when we won the title in my freshman and sophomore years, and now to get back here as a senior is unbelievable, an unbelievable feeling. And to beat Pocomoke — they’re a real good team and it’s great to end their run. Our team has a lot of heart and wouldn’t let up.”

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad