C.M. Wright-Decatur girls lacrosse semifinal postponed by lightning

After more thand two and a half hours of lightning delays last night, the state Class 3A-2A girls lacrosse semifinal between C. Milton Wright and Stephen Decatur was postponed until tomorrow.

The teams will pick where they left off, with C. Milton Wright leading 5-2 and 4:18 left in the first half, but it will be played at a different site, Northeast High School in Anne Arundel County.

In addition to the lightening delays -- an hour before the game started and 80 minutes during the first half -- one of the four banks of stadium lights at Mount Hebron High School was not working. One of teams' goalies told officials it was quite dark for her in that corner and that hastened officials' decision to stop the game.

Lightening, however, was still visible in the distance when the game was called at about 9 p.m.

After an hour of delays forced by rumbles of thunder, the teams finally took the field to start the game at 7 p.m. They traded goals -- Victoria Kerkovich for the Seahawks answered by Maria Snee for the Mustangs -- during the first 1:20 before lightning struck in the distance again.

They sat out another 30 minutes and the Mustangs came back with a three-goal run. Moriah Snyder scored two and Aubrey Hoover fed Taylor Marchetti for a 4-1 lead with 15:58 to go. Lexie Van Kirk got one back for Decatur before Jordan Landsman netted an extra-man goal for a 5-2 lead with 9:40 left in the half.

And lightning struck again forcing another 50 minutes of delay at the 6:32 point. The resumed play for another four minutes before the officials again spotted lightning in the distance. They waited about 15 minutes before deciding to postpone.

The Mustangs(9-6) are aiming for their second state championship Stephen Decatur (12-4) from Berlin near Ocean City is aiming for its first.

The winner will face the winner of tomorrow's other semifinal between defending champion and The Baltimore Sun's No. 2-ranked team Glenelg (18-0) and Oakdale (15-2), a rematch of last year's 14-1 state title game. The state final will be Tuesday or Wednesday at Stevenson University.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad