Gavin Howell's season debut turned out to be perfect timing for Boys' Latin.
Howell scored a match-ending pin to help the Lakers (8-1) rally past host Calvert Hall, 37-36, on Thursday in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference match.
A lingering back injury from football season had kept the junior out of the lineup, but he refused to sit out another match with the win against the Cardinals at stake.
- Varsity Q&A with Westminster pole vaulter Alex Howell
- City's Robert Miller, Catonsville's Trinity McPherson lead way in wins at Baltimore City-County Mixer
- No. 11 Old Mill girls basketball slows down to beat Severna Park, 51-44
- High school sports championships [Pictures]
- National Signing Day 2014 [Pictures]
- National Signing Day ceremonies [Pictures]
See more photos »
Howell, a transfer from Towson High who starts at middle linebacker, pinned Calvert Hall's Nick Donatelli at 220 pounds.
No. 13 Lake Clifton 57, Digital Harbor 43: Stefon Brown scored a game-high 21 points and the visiting Lakers (7-1) held off a second-half rally by the Rams (3-3).
Lake Clifton had a 24-point lead headed into the second half when Digital Harbor went on an 18-4 run in the third quarter.
Digital Harbor 56, Lake Clifton 22: Deja Carroll and Shakira Bradshaw each scored 16 points to lead the host Rams (4-0) past the Lakers.
Baltimore Sun staff contributed to this article.