"If I've got it, you've got it; that's what I'm all about," Eaton told The Sun in 2006.
"He was the pied piper with those kids in Baltimore, because you knew whatever he said, it was him being honest. It was the truth," DuVall said. "It was never about Ben. It was always about those kids. ... He was a man's man, a John Wayne character who was as tough as can be, but he was good to everyone. I never heard him curse the entire time I knew him. God is getting a heck of a football coach."
Ben Eaton 1948-2007
• Most recent job: Dunbar football coach, assistant athletic director, physical education instructor
• Coaching record: 77-30 (.720), nine seasons
• State titles as head coach: 2004, 2006
• State titles as assistant coach: 1994, 1995, under Stanley Mitchell
• High school: Graduated from Douglass in 1966
• College: Graduated from Morgan State in 1974 as all-conference offensive lineman under coach Earl Banks; played at Morgan with future NFL players Bob Wade, Ray Chester and Frenchy Fuqua
• Family: Wife, Sandra, and son, Ben Eaton Jr., who graduated from Gilman last year as The Sun's All-Metro Defensive Player of the Year and now plays at Mercersburg (Pa.) Academy
Sun reporter Pat O'Malley contributed to this article.