Patterson boys outsized in 70-65 semifinal loss to Potomac

The Baltimore Sun

COLLEGE PARK — The Patterson boys basketball team showed from the start it wouldn’t back down from much bigger Potomac in Friday’s Class 2A state semifinal game, with junior Dawan Bass providing proof with a relentless drive and dunk just two minutes into the game.

The No. 5 Clippers stayed close and went on to take their only lead with five minutes left, but couldn’t stop Potomac’s Walter Broddie when it mattered most.

Broddie delivered two consecutive baskets to restore order and then made two free throws with six seconds left for the Wolverines, from Prince George’s County, who went on to claim a 70-65 win.

Potomac, which went 4-0 against Baltimore area teams this season and is now 22-5, will meet Oakdale – a 56-34 winner over Patterson Mill in Friday’s other semifinal -- at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Broddie scored a game-high 30 points and 6-foot-7 center Quadree Smith added 20 for Potomac, which had five key players 6-foot-5 or taller.

The Clippers got 21 points and 10 rebounds from Dawan Bass, 16 points from Rysheed Corbin and 13 points from Dereck Oliver to finish the season with a 21-5 mark  

Trailing from the opening basket and by as many as eight points, the Clippers took their first lead when Corbin drove the baseline with 5:17 left for a 58-57 lead.  But Broddie wasn’t deterred -- he took a inside pass from Smith to give the Wolverines the lead back, and attacked the basket again for a 61-58 lead with 2:57 to play.

After Corbin hit two free throws with 38 seconds left to cut the lead to 68-65, the Clippers got the ball back with a chance to tie. But Corbin’s hurried three-point try with 10 seconds left was off the mark, and Broddie followed with two free throws to send Potomac to the championship game in a bid to win its fourth state title and first since 2005.

“I’m very proud of our season – we finished  21-5 and when Aquille [Carr] left [in 2012], people wrote off Patterson basketball," Patterson coach Harry Martin said. "I’m disappointed for the seniors. In the end, we had a lot of bad numbers on the stat sheet and didn’t deserve to win.”

The Clippers made just 1 of 18 3-point attempts.

Potomac, which led throughout the first half after taking the lead on its opening possession, threatened to pull away a couple times, only to have the Clippers respond.

The Wolverines got 3-pointers from Broddie and Dion Wiley and strong inside play from Smith to build a 17-10 lead with 1:13 to play in the first quarter, but the Clippers – attacking the basket -- answered with two free throws each from Oliver and Bass to stay close.

Broddie finished out his 15-point first quarter with an off-balance 3-pointer at the buzzer to put the Wolverines up, 20-14.

A basket from Dayjar Dickson with 3:30 to play gave Potomac its biggest lead of the first half at 31-23, but the Clippers again closed to 35-30 at halftime with a thunderous follow dunk from Fortune Okigweh.

Potomac led 54-47 in the final minute of the third quarter when the Clippers started a 6-0 run to tie the game at 54 in the opening minute of the fourth. Bass tied the game with an inside basket with 7:46 to play, but the Wolverines held on.

Class 2A state semifinal

(at Comcast Center)

Potomac 70, No. 5 Patterson 65

PA –  Corbin 16, Oliver 13, Brooks 5, Bass 21, Brown 6, Okigweh 2, Adams 2. Totals: 25 16-22 65

PO  -- Wiley 13, Broddie 30, A. Smith 2, Q. Smith 20,  Dickson 5. Totals: 28 20-30 70

Half: Po, 35-30

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad