Boys Indoor Track Coach of the Year: Tony Griner, Century
Boys Indoor Track Coach of the Year: Tony Griner, Century (Algerina Perna / The Baltimore Sun)
- 2012-13 Winter All-Metro teams [Pictures]
- Boys Indoor Track Performer of the Year: Maury Sall, Pikesville, junior
- 2012-13 All-Metro first team for boys indoor track
- High school sports championships [Pictures]
- National Signing Day 2014 [Pictures]
- National Signing Day ceremonies [Pictures]
See more photos »
With a dominating effort this winter, the Knights won their fourth overall Class 2A state championship under Griner. The boys also won a state title in 2011, while the girls finished first in 2010 and 2011.
How good were the Century boys this season? The numbers really do tell the story.
Thanks to their talent and depth, the Knights won four major championships by a large margin this winter -- Monocacy Valley Athletic League's Piedmont Conference (39 points), Carroll County (99), Class 2A West regional (80) and state (39).
Griner said his team was successful because it had seven good assistant coaches who spent a lot of time working with the various team members, teaching them how to get better in their specific events.
"I think this award is a reflection of the athletes, leaders and coaches in this program," Griner said. "They are each other's greatest support system. They spent as much time helping and motivating each other as they did practicing their own skills."