Boys Basketball Coach of the Year: Darnell Dantzler, Edmondson
Boys Basketball Coach of the Year: Darnell Dantzler, Edmondson (Gene Sweeney Jr. / The Baltimore Sun)
- 2012-13 Winter All-Metro teams [Pictures]
- Boys Basketball Player of the Year: Tevon Saddler, St. Frances, senior, guard
- 2012-13 All-Metro first team for boys basketball
- High school sports in August-September 2014 [Pictures]
- High school sports championships [Pictures]
- National Signing Day 2014 [Pictures]
See more photos »
The Red Storm suffered several heartbreaking losses this season, particularly a buzzer-beating defeat in overtime against No. 1 Dunbar in the Baltimore City Division I championship game. But those setbacks served an important purpose when it mattered most for No. 5 Edmondson (22-5).
Finally reaching the state tournament at the University of Maryland's Comcast Center after four straight losses in the Class 2A North regional championship game, Edmondson showed poise to close out a double-overtime win, 60-56, over Oakdale in the semifinals and a 54-52 victory over Wicomico for the program's first state title.
In his sixth year, Dantzler (114-31 overall) led the Red Storm to its first city title in 2010 and now its first state championship.
"We had ups and downs, losing some tough games early, and for them to come back so strong is remarkable," Dantzler said.
Dantzler's brother, Terrell, and Richard Harrison have been his assistants during his tenure at Edmondson.