As the best distance runner in the Baltimore area, Gonzalez earned the top honor for the third straight season.
- 2013 Spring All-Metro teams [Pictures]
- 2013 Girls Track and Field Coach of the Year: Shedrick Elliott, Western Tech
- 2013 All-Metro first team for girls track and field
- High school sports in August-September 2014 [Pictures]
- High school sports championships [Pictures]
- National Signing Day 2014 [Pictures]
See more photos »
The Cubs junior, who also was the Runner of the Year in cross country in the fall and the Performer of the Year in indoor track in the winter, easily won the 1,600- and 3,200-meter races at the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland championship meet last month to complete a perfect spring.
Gonzalez won the 3,200 by almost 45 seconds and the 1,600 by nearly 26seconds — unusually large margins of victory for distance races. Her time in the 1,600 (4 minutes, 53.08 seconds) was a meet record, while she missed beating her own meet record from last year by less than a second in the 3,200 (10:39.86).
“Hard work is a key,” she said. “I worked hard, and I had a lot of support this [season]."
Gonzalez, who was selected as the Female Athlete of the Year last month, is considering Navy, Air Force and several Ivy League schools.