THREE STARS Roburt Sallie, Memphis. Sallie, above, drilled 10 3-pointers and scored 35 points in an 81-70 win over Cal State Northridge. His previous high was 13 points.
A.J. Abrams, Texas. The Longhorn had nine field goals, including eight treys, and scored 26 in a win over Minnesota.
Marcus Thornton, LSU. Thornton had 30 points, six rebounds and four assists in a win against Butler.
STORYLINES Survive and advance. Phew, Memphis and Villanova (coached by Jay Wright, above). After trailing much of the night, a 2 and 3 seed move on — barely.
Living up to top billing. UNC and UConn were impressive, routing Radford and Chattanooga by a combined 99 points.
Ho-hum day. In a tournament that almost always has a couple of shockers early, there were no stunners Thursday.
56The margin of victory for Jeff Adrien, above, and UConn against Chattanooga (103-47), the third largest in tournament history.
2,789The career point total for North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough, which is an ACC record. J.J. Redick held the old mark (2,769).
10The lowest seed — Maryland — to advance to the second round as of press time on Thursday. The Terps upended California.
East RegionAt Dayton, Ohio
(8) Oklahoma State vs. (9) Tennessee, 12:25 p.m.
(1) Pittsburgh vs. (16) East Tenn. State, 30 minutes following
At Boise, Idaho
(4) Xavier vs. (13) Portland State, 7:25 p.m.
(5) Florida St. vs. (12) Wisconsin, 30 minutes following
South RegionAt Miami
(3) Syracuse vs. (14) Stephen F. Austin, 12:15 p.m.
(6) Arizona State vs. (11) Temple, 30 minutes following
Midwest RegionAt Minneapolis
(3) Kansas vs. (14) North Dakota State, 12:30 p.m.
(6) West Virginia vs (11) Dayton, 30 minutes following
(7) Boston College vs. (10) Southern California, 7:20 p.m.
(2) Michigan State vs. (15) Robert Morris, 30 minutes following
West RegionAt Boise
(6) Marquette vs. (11) Utah State, 12:30 p.m.
(3) Missouri vs. (14) Cornell, 30 minutes following