May 30, 2007
"I hope to make them proud of accepting me as a student," Reade Seligmann said in a statement provided to the Associated Press by his attorney, Jim Cooney. "I am looking forward to just being a student again."
Brown confirmed in a brief statement that Seligmann was expected on campus this fall.
Seligmann was indicted, along with fellow players Collin Finnerty and David Evans, on charges of rape, kidnapping and sexual offense.
The season was canceled, and Seligmann and Finnerty, both sophomores, were suspended. Evans graduated the day before he was indicted.
The rape charges were dropped in December, and North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper dropped the remaining charges last month.
Seligmann and Finnerty were invited back to Duke. Finnerty remains undecided.
Seligmann's announcement came a day after the Blue Devils lost to Johns Hopkins, 12-11, in the NCAA championship game.
"I appreciate the support and loyalty of my teammates and coaches at Duke," Seligmann said. "I will miss them. I know that they will understand why I cannot return to Duke."
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun