USC's search for a new football coach has barely started, and there already is an odd twist.
The school announced Monday that "individuals posing as USC representatives made overtures to two coaches regarding the Trojans' head coaching position."
Former NFL coach Tony Dungy, appearing on The Dan Patrick Show on Monday morning, said he had been contacted regarding the USC job but that he had no interest.
When Patrick asked Dungy whether USC had called him, Dungy said, "They haven’t but, as they say, representatives of the organization have called. Your people called my people just to see if you’re interested.”
But Monday afternoon, USC released a statement related to Dungy and also the Denver Broncos. Former USC All-American Jack Del Rio, who is regarded as a potential candidate, is the Broncos' defensive coordinator.
USC said, "A person falsely identifying himself as a high-ranking member of the USC athletic department attempted to make contact several times with the Denver Broncos' coaching staff to discuss the Trojan job. That person has been identified by USC and appropriate action is being taken."
In regard to Dungy, the school said, "A person, again not a representative of USC, also has been identified and USC is in the process of contacting that individual."
"Tony's discussion on the radio today of being contacted by USC was a complete surprise to us," USC Athletic Director Pat Haden said in a statement that was part of the announcement. "So were the calls made to the Broncos. I can assure you no authorized representative of USC or our athletic department made these calls.
"As I said last week, we will not comment on every name that comes out. It would be a disservice to our players and coaches, who are devoting everything they have into the remainder of our season. We have a head coach right now in Ed Orgeron. We have not offered the job to anyone."
ALSO:Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun