Jurors assigned blame in some of the most infamous gangland killings in the city's history Thursday, agreeing with prosecutors that the Chicago Outfit used fists, ropes, knives, guns and a bomb to conduct its dark business.
In Chicago's biggest mob trial in decades, jurors found that three of the Outfit figures on trial committed 10 of the 18 murders in the case, a verdict that could mean life sentences for them.
But in the remaining eight homicides, they found themselves deadlocked and unable to reach a verdict, a finding that means a fourth defendant was not found accountable for the one murder he faced.
James Marcello, the reputed head of the Chicago Outfit, sat perfectly still as a court deputy read that the anonymous panel found that he took part in the 1986 murders of Anthony Spilotro, the mob's Las Vegas chieftain, and his brother Michael. His lawyer, Thomas Breen, pressed his hand to his forehead on word of the verdict.
In the crowded courtroom gallery, Patrick Spilotro, the brother of the victims, grabbed hold of his wife's hand.
Joey "the Clown" Lombardo leaned over on the defense table and rested his chin on his hand, remaining motionless as the deputy read that the jury found he committed the 1974 murder of federal witness Daniel Seifert, shot and killed exactly 33 years ago on Thursday.
In the gallery, Seifert's son, Joseph, present as a child when his father was gunned down at work, smiled.
After court, Seifert said he was looking directly at Lombardo as the verdict was read.
"But for some reason, he didn't look my way," Seifert said with a wry laugh.
Frank Calabrese Sr., who appeared to be praying before the decision was announced, steadied himself on the defense table and shook his head side-to-side as the verdicts were read. The jury found he committed seven murders: the 1980 shotgun slayings of informant William Dauber and his wife, Charlotte; the 1981 car-bombing of trucking executive Michael Cagnoni; and the killings of hit man John Fecarotta, bookie Michael Albergo, bar owner Richard Ortiz and his friend Arthur Morawski.
"Now he can rest in peace after 24 years," said Ellen Ortiz, widow of Richard Ortiz. "The Lord punishes in many, many ways."
But not every relative of a victim walked away satisfied with the outcome. Among the killings the jury deadlocked on was whether Marcello murdered Nicholas D'Andrea, who was found bludgeoned in the back of a burning car in 1981.
In the hallway outside the courtroom after the verdicts were announced, D'Andrea's son Bob's eyes were slightly reddened as he expressed frustration over the verdict.
"The whole world knows he did it," D'Andrea said. "I didn't wait 26 years to hear this."
Walking hand-in-hand with her victims' services case worker, Charlene Moraveck started to sob as she left the courthouse. The jury had been unable to find Calabrese responsible for the 1976 murder of her husband, Paul Haggerty.
"I waited 31 years," she said. "That bastard ruined my life. They couldn't come to a decision. I could have made a decision in five minutes. Everything was taken from me. It's never in the past. I'm disappointed with the jury."
The jury couldn't decide whether the fourth defendant, Paul "the Indian" Schiro, was to blame for killing grand jury witness Emil Vaci.
The lawyers involved in the landmark trial over the summer said it appeared that the jury deadlocked on killings in which the only evidence came from Calabrese's brother, Nicholas, the government's key witness.
But the jury appeared to find the defendants committed a murder when evidence corroborated Nicholas Calabrese's account, such as undercover recordings of Frank Calabrese Sr.