By Matt Vensel
9:30 AM EDT, September 26, 2011
Each morning, Monday through Friday, I'll hook you up with reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
Rookie receiver Torrey Smith had three touchdown catches in the first quarter Sunday as the Ravens beat the Rams, 37-7. ... The defense smothered St. Louis, especially in a near-perfect first half that saw Baltimore enjoy a 27-0 advantage at halftime. ... The offensive line played better with Andre Gurode at left guard. ... Lee Evans said he understood the decision to sit him down against the Rams. ... Brian Matusz was rocked again in his final start of 2011 as the Orioles lost to the Tigers. ... Suspended Maryland receivers Ronnie Tyler and Quintin McCree will start Saturday against Towson, but safety Matt Robinson had season-ending shoulder surgery.
Hitting the links:
1. Mike Preston: This is the kind of dominance you want to see against a winless team like the Rams [Baltimore Sun]
2. Here is Preston's report card [Baltimore Sun]
3. KVV's Five Things We Learned [Ravens Insider]
4. The Ravens pounded the Rams [St. Louis Post-Dispatch]
5. It was a dream start for Torrey Smith [New York Times]
6. Peter King talked about Torrey Smith and Orlando Brown in "Monday Morning Quarterback" [SI]
7. Torrey Smith's performance was "astonishing" [Shutdown Corner]
8. It looked as if the Rams never saw Torrey Smith coming [St. Louis Post-Dispatch]
9. Baltimore's offense will finally be more explosive and versatile under Cam Cameron [SI]
10. What else happened in the AFC North on Sunday? [ESPN]
11. UFC fighter Jon Jones, the brother of Arthur Jones, may be America's best athlete [SI]
12. Breaking down Buck Showalter's Orioles nuggets for 2012 and beyond [Baltimore Sun]
13. Is Brian Roberts one? He was on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" this weekend [ESPN]
14. Do you care how the Orioles do against the Red Sox? [Orioles Insider]
15. Here is the Baltimore bullpen in suits and fedoras [Camden Chat]
16. The Terps must treat their embarrassing loss to the Temple Owls as a wakeup call [Baltimore Sun]
Video of the morning:
You're going to have to click to see this video of Patriots coach Bill Belichick roller skating in a pirate costume, but I figured you wouldn't mind. Check it out here on NFL.com.
Send me your funny and/or interesting links, photos, YouTube videos, blogs, Tweets, comments, emails, ideas, etc. and I’ll give you a plug. You can reach me at Matt.Vensel@baltsun.com and twitter.com/mattvensel.
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun