Each morning, Monday through Friday, I'll hook you up with reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
Jake Arrieta is almost certainly going to be shut down for the remainder of this season so he can have elbow surgery. ... Mark Reynolds hit a three-run home run and starter Alfredo Simon allowed just one run on four hits in Tuesday night's 8-2 win over the Royals. ... The Orioles released Justin Duchscherer. ... The Ravens signed center Casey Rabach to a two-year contract. ... Marc Bulger has decided to retire. ... Todd Heap, who was caught off guard when the Ravens released him, wants to take the Cardinals "back to the top."
Hitting the links:
1. Vonta Leach has gone from just another body to the NFL's best bodyguard [Baltimore Sun]
2. Is Vonta Leach an upgrade? [Ravens Gab]
3. New coordinator Chuck Pagano could restore aggression to the Ravens defense [Baltimore Sun]
4. The ice cream man visited the Ravens [CSN Baltimore]
5. What's up with Osi Umenyiora? [Ravens Insider]
6. The Ravens remain interested in Malcom Floyd [Ravens Insider]
7. Jimmy Smith tells a fan on Twitter to "shut the hell up" [Baltimore Sports Report]
8. Projecting the 2012 Orioles [Baltimore Sports Report]
9. Mark Reynolds is making a powerful argument [Orioles Insider]
10. Is Andy MacPhail still magic? Has he ever been? [The Loss Column]
11. When Maryland football first put players names on jerseys [D.C. Sports Bog]
12. Mark Turgeon: "We just don’t have the depth we need" [Terrapins Insider]
13. Michal Neuvirth: “I don’t care who is No. 1 and who is No. 2” [Russian Machine Never Breaks]
You said it:
"I would like to see the Ravens bring back McClain and give him a shot, if he's willing to be a backup and the price is right. After all....he did have one good year running the football and he knows the system." -- reader lncrprl casts a vote for the "McClain 4 backup RB" campaign
Video of the morning:
Nyjer Morgan Tony Gumbo is a crazy person [via The Huffington Post]
Send me your funny and/or interesting links, photos, YouTube videos, blogs, Tweets, comments, emails, ideas, etc. If I deem them to be worthy for the blog, I’ll give you a plug. You can reach me at Matt.Vensel@baltsun.com and twitter.com/mattvensel.
The Ravens might have let you go but I won't. It's not fantasy football season until you're on the squad, listed as Questionable. Don't let the streak end.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun