Each morning, Monday through Friday, I'll hook you up with reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
With Prince Fielder launching a three-run home run and Roy Halladay setting the pitching tone with two perfect innings, the National League posted a 5-1 victory over the American League in Tuesday night's All-Star Game. The N.L. has won two consecutive All-Star Games. ... Matt Wieters' first All-Star Game performance was not so memorable. ... With another Orioles season derailed, the organization is again looking ahead to the future. ... Baltimore's late television newscasts are shifting their focus away from sports.
Hitting the links:
1. Peter Schmuck says that it's not just a lack of affluence that has the Orioles in such poor shape [Baltimore Sun]
3. Future Orioles first baseman Prince Fielder had a big night in the All-Star Game [Schmuck Stops Here]
4. To Matt Wieters, the All-Star Game experience was "pretty neat" [MLB.com]
5. Here's a projection of which Ravens will be staying and going when free agency begins after the lockout [Ravens Insider]
7. Will the Ravens be interested in any of these undrafted rookie free agents? [ESPN]
8. Are the Redskins interested in Marshal Yanda? [NFL.com]
9. The Ravens should sign Nate Robinson [Slam]
10. Who is the Ravens' second-biggest rival? [Ravens.com]
12. The Maryland football team "hung together" through a coaching change [Baltimore Sun]
You said it:
"David Zurawik is DEAD ON!!! The media has gone completely soft on the O's. One reason the Red Sox and Yankees are competitive every year are that the fans and media EXPECT success and hold the organizations feet to the fire. Anything less than 100% effort is deemed a failure." -- reader shuettner agrees with David Zurawik that the Baltimore media takes it too easy on the Orioles
Video of the morning:
Here is video of the Ravens working out at Towson a couple of months ago [via Ravens 24x7]
Send me your funny and/or interesting links, photos, YouTube videos, blogs, Tweets, comments, emails, ideas, etc. If I deem them to be worthy for the blog, I’ll give you a plug. You can reach me at Matt.Vensel@baltsun.com and twitter.com/mattvensel.