Each morning, Monday through Friday, I'll hook you up with reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
Mitch Atkins, making his Orioles debut and his first big league start, allowed just one run in six innings on Tuesday night, but Jim Johnson couldn't lock it down in the 4-2 loss to the Rangers. ... After several months of trying to play through a torn labrum in his shoulder, Luke Scott finally shut things down with hopes he can return in a few weeks after rest and rehabilitation. ... Brian Matusz’s struggles continued in Triple-A Norfolk as he allowed four earned runs on seven hits, including two homers. ... Former Ravens fullback Lorenzo Neal was arrested for driving under the influence on the Fourth of July. ... Justin Lewis, Maryland's starting right guard last season, was dismissed by Randy Edsall on Tuesday. ... Baltimore native Steve Kolbe, the Capitals' radio play-by-play announcer the past 14 seasons, might not be back next season.
Hitting the links:
1. Peter Schmuck: Trading Mark Reynolds and J.J. Hardy would send the wrong message to O's fans [Baltimore Sun]
2. Nolan Reimold can move into a regular role in left field with Luke Scott on the disabled list [MLB.com]
3. Cal Ripken reflects on his last All-Star Game [Orioles Insider]
4. Mitch Atkins pitched well Tuesday by actually throwing strikes -- an amazing concept [Orioles Insider]
5. At least Mark Reynolds is having fun [Toy Department]
6. Brian Billick talks about the best player in Ravens history, according to him [FOX Sports]
7. Who will back up Joe Flacco? [CSN Baltimore]
8. Joe Flacco admits he would say the same exact thing that LaMarr Woodley said about him [Sports Radio Interviews]
9. Five bold Ravens offseason predictions [The Ebony Bird]
10. NFL players respect the hell out of the Ravens [The Score]
11. The best linebackers in Ravens history [Ravens Insider]
12. More on the Justin Lewis case and Maryland's offensive line [Tracking the Terps]You said it:
"Well said, RL. It takes a great one to know another one. Both of them will go to the HOF first ballot obviously." -- commenter RobertT.Kean enjoyed hearing Ray Lewis praise Tom Brady
Video of the morning:
Things you can't do when you're not in a pool [Via Hot Clicks]
Send me your funny and/or interesting links, photos, YouTube videos, blogs, Tweets, comments, emails, ideas, etc. If I deem them to be worthy for the blog, I’ll give you a plug. You can reach me at Matt.Vensel@baltsun.com and twitter.com/mattvensel.