Each morning, Monday through Friday, I'll hook you up with reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
Brian Matusz returned to the mound Wednesday and Adam Jones hit the game-winning homer to help the Orioles snap their five-game losing skid. ... Jones put his modesty aside when discussing his leaping catch in the fourth inning of the 2-1 win over the Mariners. ... Nick Markakis played his first career game at first base. ... To make room for Matusz, the Orioles designated Jake Fox for assignment. ... Navy has indicated interest in talking to Maryland men's lacrosse coach John Tillman about its coaching vacancy. ... Three-sport standouts Darius Jennings from Gilman and Taylor Cummings from McDonogh were named our Athletes of the Year.
Hitting the links:
1. The Orioles have been one of the unluckiest teams in baseball this season [SI]
2. The Orioles may already have a Prince in mind [CBS Sports]
3. The Orioles are getting little love in the All-Star Game voting [Orioles Insider]
6. The Ravens' playbook is making the rounds among the team's offensive rookies [Ravens Insider]
7. Which young quarterback would you start your franchise with? [NFL.com]
8. Ray Rice played catch in Ocean City [Patch]
9. Discussing the Ravens' draft class with Joe Hortiz [Baltimore Sports & Life]
You said it:
"It's fun to write about....right? But it's not altogether that funny at all. It's a huge failure in the system. [Billy] Rowell over [Tim] Lincecum? Did anyone get fired for that one? Because if someone didn't lose their job over that than they sure should have." -- reader McFailure vents about the Orioles having four players on a list of the past decade's biggest draft busts
Video of the morning:
Send me your funny and/or interesting links, photos, YouTube videos, blogs, Tweets, comments, emails, ideas, etc. If I deem them to be worthy for the blog, I’ll give you a plug. You can reach me at Matt.Vensel@baltsun.com and twitter.com/mattvensel.