By Matt Vensel
9:00 AM EST, February 21, 2011
Each morning, Monday through Friday, I'll hook you up with some reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
Maryland honored Greivis Vasquez on Sunday then picked up a big win over N.C. State. ... Buck Showalter is ready to get down to business. ... The Capitals beat the Sabres, 2-1. ... Only 20 years old, Trevor Bayne held off a charge from Carl Edwards to win the Daytona 500.
Hitting the links:
1. After bouncing back late in 2010, Michael Gonzalez aims to pick up where he left off [Baltimore Sun]
2. Once shut out of baseball, Jay Gibbons is living his dream again [SI]
3. Felix Pie and Nolan Reimold must force their way onto a roster full of new talent [Baltimore Sun]
4. OK, who is batting where? [CSN Baltimore]
5. Peter Schmuck: Adam Jones hopes for a break-through year thanks to a revamped lineup [Baltimore Sun]
6. Buck Showalter's surprise trip to the movies [Orioles Insider]
7. Derrek Lee's optimism continued to rise as he met new teammates over the weekend [Baltimore Sun]
8. Kevin Cowherd: In a fitting tribute to Greivis Vasquez, Maryland put up big numbers [Baltimore Sun]
9. The chances that the Ravens draft a quarterback in the first three rounds is very low [Ravens Insider]
10. James Walker doesn't see the Ravens being players for Santonio Holmes [ESPN]
11. Mike Mayock says the first round of the NFL draft will be stocked with pass rushers [Ravens.com]
12. The odd tale of Donte' Stallworth [SB Nation]
You said it:"Jamal Lewis was a beast. A big back with breakaway speed is rare (see Bo Jackson). To call him a wasted pick is absolutely moronic. A 2,000 rusher when there was no threat of a passing game after tearing an ACL! If Priest Holmes was better how come he got beat out at Texas and then went undrafted? I think he deserves more respect than that!" -- reader RavenzRule makes a case for Jamal Lewis being one of the top five picks in Ravens history Video of the morning:
Too much Bieber
Send me your funny and/or interesting links, photos, YouTube videos, blogs, Tweets, comments, emails, ideas, leads, etc. If I deem them to be worthy for the blog, I’ll give you a plug. You can reach me at Matt.Vensel@baltsun.com and twitter.com/mattvensel.
Copyright © 2013, The Baltimore Sun