Your regular blogger got stuck in traffic this morning on his way to Ravens Training Camp, so he didn't have time to read about what happened in the local sports world yesterday. Lucky for you, that's why we write the Coffee Companion, which recaps the previous day's headlines.
- The Orioles were just a few outs away from a series sweep of the Los Angeles Angels, but allowed a couple of runs in the eighth inning and lost, 3-2. Manny Machado missed his second consecutive game with lower back spasms.
- David Modell said his familly will file charges if Baltimore County police find the Cleveland Browns fan who posted a video of himself apparently urinating near Art Modell's grave.
- New Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith Sr. thinks he'll fit in well with the team after 13 seasons with the Carolina Panthers.
- Meanwhile, Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs says he's looking forward to getting "back to basics" on defense. He also said quarterback Joe Flacco can be a vocal leader when needed -- and sometimes, it might be needed.
- At Colonial Athletic Association football media day, coaches picked Towson to finish fifth in the conference despite the team's run to the Football Championship Subdivision title game last season. Yet a couple coaches said they won't count the Tigers out, with one going as far to say: "Believe me, they’re going to be good." Huh?Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun