Shout out to the Orioles' grounds crew, which had a strong tarp pull on national television last night. That's a tough job, and they performed it admirably. For more shouts from yesterday, here's the Coffee Companion, where we recap the previous day's sports headlines.
- The Orioles won a rain-shortened decision, 3-1, over the Yankees last night on ESPN. As the team enters the All-Star break, the players know they won’t be able to coast on their four-game lead in the AL East.
- The expectation is that Orioles prospects Dariel Alvarez and Christian Walker will be promoted to Triple-A Norfolk after their All-Star Break this week. In yesterday’ MLB All-Star Futures Game, Hunter Harvey retired Alvarez — the Orioles’ other representative.
- While baseball takes a little break, the Ravens’ offseason has heated up a bit. Cornerback Jimmy Smith was arrested and cited following an incident at the Greene Turtle in Towson. He’s the fifth Raven to be arrested this season, a knock on the team’s reputation.
- Jeff Zrebiec has begun a series analyzing the Ravens position-by-position, starting with the quarterbacks.
- I wrote what I thought was a fun story on Ravens rookie lineman John Urschel, who made his mark as an academic at Penn State as well.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun