I could make a stand and not include daily updates on an injured pitcher who hasn't pitched in well over a year and hasn't been his best self in much longer. But the contents of the Coffee Companion, which runs down the daily sports headlines every weekday morning, aren't up to me. So without further ado ...
- It wouldn’t be, well, a day, without big news on Johan Santana. The left-hander opted out of his minor league deal last night, and was added to the 40-man roster as a result. He was placed on the disabled list, where he will make a handful of rehab starts before presumably trying to pitch for the Orioles.
- Another player who is banged up — with a bruised hand, not permanent shoulder injuries — is Nelson Cruz, who returns to Texas for the first time this week, and does so as one of the hottest hitters in the American League.
- There was a surprising amount of minor league news on the day off, with an update on Kevin Gausman in Norfolk, a post on Carolina League player of the week Adrian Marin, and some news on a helicopter candy drop in Frederick.
- My colleagues on the Ravens beat caught up with some potential key contributors, Chykie Brown and Ryan Jensen, at Lardarius Webb’s softball game Sunday. The former is competing for a nickel back role, while the latter has moved to tackle in order to provide an internal solution at that spot.
- Mike Preston said that despite all these internal options, the Ravens do some of their best work in the latter part of free agency. That could continue this month.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun