The Coffee Companion, where we recap the local sports headlines each weekday morning, is meant to look back, not forward. But how can you look back when the most important day since Rocky Balboa ended the Cold War is upon us?
- Today is the day. My beloved von Trapps need a point against the vaunted Germans to advance in the World Cup. As always, check out our World Cup Guide for all the relevant information and some analysis that is sure to be wrong.
- Nelson Cruz bailed out Ubaldo Jimenez with an eighth-inning, game-tying grand slam, and the Orioles won after a rain delay, 5-4, in 12 innings. As if the team didn’t have enough to thank the White Sox’ poor bullpen for, the winning run scored on a wild pitch.
- Orioles' Nelson Cruz on grand slam [Video]
- Orioles walk-off wins [Pictures]
- Orioles beat Chicago White Sox, 5-4, in series finale on wild pitch in 12th inning
- Orioles celebrate American League East title [Pictures]
- Orioles in September 2014 [Pictures]
- Top 10 teams in Orioles history [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Manny Machado said his suspension appeal hearing yesterday was “fair,” while Bud Norris is set for an MRI after his sore groin has lingered. He won’t start Friday, and will be replaced by Chris Tillman.
- Led by fifth-round pick John Urschel and undrafted tackle James Hurst, the Ravens’ rookie offensive linemen are growing close and learning the pro game together this spring.
- Even if they don’t have Shabazz Napier high enough in their mock draft, Aaron Dodson and Trevor Hass have done a great job covering the local angles before the NBA draft. Today, they look at the draft prospects and preparations of two local prep stars: Roscoe Smith, who hopes hard work will get him there, and Aquille Carr, who is hopeful but not stressing about the draft.
- Michael Phelps is set to appear in ESPN the Magazine’s “The Body Issue” next month. He will be naked.