With no Orioles game and something of a dead period of sports occurring in our fair city, maybe you don't know where to look for your morning reads. That's why blogger Jon Meoli writes the Coffee Companion, where Monday through Friday, he will compile the top local sports news.
- Draft day is just two days away. We'll have our final mock draft tomorrow, but there's plenty of new content. Mike Preston believes the Ravens need talent that can make an impact immediately, while there’s also a likelihood the Orioles could end up with a backup quarterback for Joe Flacco.
- With the Orioles off yesterday, I looked at how Tommy Hunter has performed as closer. Because there’s no such thing as a bad closer who is a closer for very long, it seems he’s doing pretty well.
- Elsewhere in Orioles news, the tightly-packed AL East is now led by the Yankees and Orioles, who moved into a draw for the top spot despite not playing. Johan Santana was throwing hard in his simulated game yesterday.
- It was a big day for college basketball news, with news that the Big Ten tournament will be in the newly minted Midwestern city of Washington, D.C., and Coppin State has hired Michael Grant as its new men’s basketball coach.
- It doesn’t have the ring to it that Bullets Fever does, but it appears to be real. The Wizards won a 102-96 game over Indiana to take a 1-0 series lead yesterday, while the Clippers blew out Oklahoma City to kick that series off.
- The Los Angeles Kings, who lost their first three games of the playoffs and were on the brink of elimination, have now won six straight after a 3-1 victory over the Ducks. The Rangers were punchless in a 2-0 loss to Pittsburgh.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun