I pulled a five-and-dive last night in Bowie to get to hockey, but no one at Camden Yards had the opportunity to leave early last night. If you were there, or up late watching, you probably could use a pick-me-up. That the Coffee Companion, where we recap the local sports headlines every weekday, exists for you is just a bonus.
- The Orioles lost, 8-7, in 13 innings Thursday against Cleveland, who pushed two across in the final frame against Troy Patton. Earlier in the game, Preston Guilmet, a former Indian, threw 2 1/3 perfect innings, and Manny Machado left with groin stiffness.
- In Bowie, Eduardo Rodriguez looked strong, if not a little tired, in his return from the DL Thursday night.
- Ray Rice will speak with reporters Friday for the first time since his assault arrest in Atlantic City.
- Another member of Maryland’s 2012 recruiting class transferred when Charles Mitchell announced he was leaving the program. Don Markus said they have to look at more than talent in replacing the transfers.
- Crofton native Kyle Beckerman made the 2014 World Cup team, but iconic American forward Landon Donovan was left off the squad by coach Jurgen Klinsmann.
Overtime, overtime sadness
- The Rangers fell 3-2 in overtime to Montreal, ensuring the series will go back to Montreal. Game 4 is Sunday. The NBA doesn't play again until roughly July.