I'm having a hard time figuring out how to dress business casual with my work boots today at Pimlico, but if that's the worst problem we have this weekend, it should be a good time. But before we go forward, let's look back on yesterday's local headlines in the Coffee Companion.
- It's going to be a messy Black-Eyed Susan Day at Pimlico, but it should clear up tomorrow for the Preakness Stakes.
- California Chrome is the overwhelming favorite after his Kentucky Derby win, but it’s hardly guaranteed. On the other end of the spectrum, the heaviest long shot, Ria Antonia, is seen as something of a no-hoper. But the filly’s owner thinks they’re in good shape.
- Dynamic Impact has had some buzz to challenge California Chrome, and won’t be affected by the inside post position.
- Jeff Barker has an interesting look at the injuries possible to those aboard these horses.
- The Ravens minicamp is closed to the public, but here are five storylines for the two-day event.
- Nelson Cruz’12th home run of the season was all the offense the Orioles needed in a 2-1 win over Kansas City, but the big storyline was Zach Britton picking up the save. Dan Connolly said there’s plenty to read into it.
Wizards Fever Cools
The Wizards struggled again at home, and it cost them in a 93-80 loss to Indiana that sent the Pacers to the Eastern Conference finals. On the other side of the bracket, the Thunder finished off the Clippers to earn a conference finals date with the Spurs.