Another beautiful weekend in Charm City means another reasonable excuse to have gotten behind on local sports news. That's why new blogger Jon Meoli is restarting the Coffee Companion — where every morning, Monday through Friday, he’ll run back the local sports headlines from the previous day.
An oh-so-bleak outlook
- The Orioles weekend series defeat at the hand of the Royals pushed the team back down to .500, and Dan Connolly wants to know how you feel about it. Chief among the concern is Chris Davis’ oblique strain, which places him on the DL.
- Speaking of the Orioles, expect a headache on the afternoon of May 24. The Orioles must play at home at 12:30 p.m. that Saturday afternoon to not compete with national TV coverage, and the NCAA lacrosse tournament begins at M&T Bank Stadium at 1 p.m. that day.
- Up until the draft begins, the Sun’s Ravens team will break down the team’s stock of players at each position. Quarterback, naturally, was first on the list.
- It was a banner weekend for Loyola University, whose men’s golf, women’s lacrosse, and men’s lacrosse teams all won Patriot League championships. The annual men’s lacrosse grudge match with Johns Hopkins is Saturday.
- No one has clinched yet in the NBA playofffs, with Miami closest, holding a commanding 3-0 lead over Charlotte. Washington is up 3-1 over Chicago, and Portland by the same margin over Houston. Dallas leads the Spurs, two games to one, while all the rest of the series are tied at two.