Duke spokesman John Burness said yesterday that the request is "still under discussion."

• The players' futures. Evans has graduated. Seligmann and Finnerty could still return to Duke and play on the team, which is ranked in the top five nationwide. Neither has made a decision.

One person who has moved on, Mike Pressler, who resigned as Duke's lacrosse coach in April last year after the school canceled the rest of the 2006 season, is now coach at Bryant University in Rhode Island. He spoke yesterday at a news conference, a day after speaking to his old Duke team, and said he is proud that the lacrosse players have stood together for the past year.

"Two days after this [the charges], I knew what the truth was. ... You say you believe somebody and then you stand by it. That's what we did. Other people can't say that," Pressler said. "It's about vindication. The attorney general said it today. I didn't say it. Innocent."

Key events in Duke case

March 13, 2006: Members of Duke University's men's lacrosse team attend a party where two exotic dancers perform. The next morning, one woman tells police she was sexually assaulted.

March 23: DNA samples are taken from 46 team members.

March 28: The university suspends play for the team.

April 5: Coach Mike Pressler resigns; season is canceled.

April 10
: Defense lawyers announce that DNA results show no link between a sexual assault and any players.

April 18
: Two Duke players, Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty, are arrested on rape and related charges.

May 15
: A third player, David Evans of Bethesda, is charged with rape.

June 5: Duke reinstates the men's lacrosse program for the 2007 season with stipulations.

June 8
: Defense lawyers say in court papers that the second dancer who performed at the party, Kim Roberts, contradicted key elements of the accuser's account.

Dec. 13
: Defense lawyers say in court papers that DNA testing suggests that the accuser might have had sex, but not with any of the players.

Dec. 22
: Prosecutors drop rape charges, but the players still face kidnapping and sexual offense charges.

Jan. 12
: District Attorney Michael B. Nifong asks for a special prosecutor to replace him on the case so that he can defend himself against a state bar ethics complaint.

April 11
: North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper drops all charges, saying the athletes were victims of a "tragic ... rush to accuse."

jeff.barker@baltsun.com