Michael Phelps held off a late charge by his rivals to win the 400-meter freestyle at the Santa Clara International Grand Prix. Phelps, who lives in Fells Point, cruised to an early lead in the final, but he had to dig in over the final 100 meters to win in 3 minutes, 48.05 seconds under sunny, windy conditions at the outdoor pool. Ryan Cochrane of Canada pushed Phelps in the closing meters only to settle for second in 3:48.40. Robert Hurley of Australia was third in 3:48.49.
Soccer: Christian Gomez and Jaime Moreno scored, Josh Wicks stopped Brian McBride's second-half penalty kick, and host D.C. United beat the Chicago Fire, 2-1. Gomez scored the winner on a free kick shortly before halftime, and Moreno scored his fifth goal of the season on a penalty kick for United (5-2-7), which won its second in a row. Chicago fell to 5-3-6. ... Crystal Palace Baltimore the Wilmington Hammerheads, 2-1, at UMBC Stadium. Machel Millwood scored the first goal of his Palace career to give Baltimore a first-half lead, and Val Teixeira added an insurance goal in the second.
NASCAR: Colin Braun took advantage of an unintentional block by a lapped truck to pass Kyle Busch and race to his first truck win at Michigan International Speedway.
- From Sun staff and news services
Phelps edges Cochrane, wins 400 free at Santa Clara GP
- Recent columns
- Sun In-Depth: Michael Phelps
- Michael Phelps [Pictures]
- Michael Phelps away from the pool [Pictures]
- Pictures: Michael Phelps' 22 Olympic medals
- Casting the Michael Phelps movie [Pictures]
- Pictures: Michael Phelps gives swim lessons to city students
See more photos »
- VIDEO: Olympics 2012: Michael Phelps in London