Three Game 7s in the NHL Playoffs in one night doesn't leave much bandwidth for local sports. That's why blogger Jon Meoli writes the Coffee Companion -- where every morning, Monday through Friday, he'll run back the local sports headlines from the previous day.
One week to the draft
- There was a ton of Ravens news from yesterday’s pre-draft press conference with the team’s leadership. The team believes the draft is deeper than usual, and they need players at several positions. So there you go.
- Ravens' Newsome on nearly drafting Brady Quinn [Video]
- Ravens looking for a little bit of everything in next week's draft
- Full coverage: Baltimore Ravens
- Ravens 38, Carolina Panthers 10 [Pictures]
- Mike Preston grades the Ravens' 38-10 win over the Panthers in Week 4
- 2014 Ravens cheerleaders [Pictures]
See more photos »
- In more concrete, tangible speculation involving actual players’ names, Aaron Wilson posted the Sun’s fourth mock draft today. Also, the series taking stock of the team’s depth at each position and who they could draft there continued with tight ends Thursday.
- At yesterday’s event, Ozzie Newsome told the story of the Ravens' frantic trade attempt for Brady Quinn. Bullet dodged there.
Kings make history
- The last of Wednesday’s three NHL playoff rubber-matches proved historic, when with a 4-1 win over San Jose, Los Angeles completed a comeback from 3-0 down in the series to become the fourth team to erase such a series deficit. In the other two games, the Rangers topped the Flyers 2-1 and Colorado needed overtime for a 4-3 win over the Wild.
- In the NBA, Houston cut Portland’s lead to 3-2 with a 10-point win at home in Game 5. San Antonio and Toronto won to go up 3-2 in their series with Dallas and Brooklyn.
- Heisman trophy winning quarterback Jameis Winston was cited for stealing crab legs from a Publix supermarket. I get that crab legs are good, but many of my colleagues are suggesting anything from Publix is worth the risk. I’m going the other way. I’m just not in on Publix. I'll take a Trader Joe's any day.