By Jim Peltz
4:20 PM EDT, June 25, 2013
NASCAR heads to Kentucky Speedway this weekend, providing another hurdle for Travis Pastrana.
Pastrana, 29, is the former action-sports and motocross star who this year became a full-time driver in NASCAR's second-level Nationwide Series, driving the No. 60 Ford for Roush Fenway Racing.
It's been a struggle. Through 14 races, Pastrana has only three top-10 finishes, his highest being a ninth at Richmond International Raceway on April 26. He's 14th in the Nationwide point standings.
In the last seven races, Pastrana has failed to finish in the top 15, including Saturday when he finished 16th on the curvy Road America course in Elkhart Lake, Wis. And in three of those races, he crashed.
Now Pastrana has to tackle the 1.5-mile Kentucky oval, where he's never raced a Nationwide car, on Friday night.
"I've had mixed results on the 1.5-mile tracks so far this year," Pastrana said in notes provided by his team. "Kentucky seems like a fun track and I'm hoping it suits me."
Pastrana, known for his ebullient personality and popularity with fans, recently said he was frustrated by his results but not deterred.
"We're working on it," Pastrana told NASCAR.com. "I love the competition. This is what drives me. I'm very fortunate to have the lifestyle I do."
Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times