Matt Swallow hauled in a four-yard touchdown pass from Zach Lundquist with no time remaining and Colton Cox added the extra point to give Roncalli a heart-stopping 14-13 Northeast Conference football victory.
“It doesn’t get much closer than that,” Roncalli coach Terry Dosch told my teammate Dave Vilhauer. “We’ve had a lot of great games with Groton. It’s one that will be in the annals and people will be talking about it.”
Groton had broken a 7-7 tie just moments earlier when Dalton Locke scored on a 3-yard run with 1:49 remaining. Nolan Schlosser blocked Groton’s point after touchdown kick. Another amazing stat in the game was that Kasey Kurtz of Groton not only had seven tackles but also recovered two fumbles and had two sacks.
Roncalli leads the series 37-12-0, but 18 of the games have been decided by seven points or less.
Here are some other things of interest during the first week of the season:
- Mobridge-Pollock got two TDs from Alex Greger to Mason Keller, including the game-winner in the third quarter. The Tigers won 18-14 over Linton/Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock.
- Yankton jumped to a 27-7 lead, and held off a Pierre rally to beat the Governors 27-21.
- Wilmot quarterback Austin Hulscher passed for 190 yards and had a hand in all 20 of Wilmot’s points, including the game-winning two-point conversion pass to Austin Hooth. Wilmot nipped Tri-State 20-18.
- Chase Marso threw for 272 yards and kicked the game-winning 26-yard field goal with 5:35 left as Brandon Valley defeated Sioux Falls O’Gorman 18-15. SFO missed a late 37-yard field goal.
- Canistota quarterback Cody Bunger passed eight times for 202 yards as the Hawks extended their winning streak to 25 games in a 20-16 win over Howard.