both in DI postseason games today
The South Dakota State and University of South Dakota women's basketball teams each have a Division I postseason game today.
It is the first time that the state has had two teams involved in Division I postseason play on the same day. Here are some things to know about each of the games.
Fifteenth-seeded South Dakota State (19-13) will face second-seeded Xavier (28-2) of Ohio at 1:30 this afternoon at the 10,250-seat Cintas Center on the Xavier University campus in Cincinnati in the NCAA Division I national tourney. The game on ESPN2 will follow the Louisville (20-12) vs. Vanderbilt (20-11) game at 11 a.m. Other things to know:
· Today's winners will play at 6 p.m. Tuesday in Cincinnati.
· SDSU is making its third consecutive appearance in the NCAA DI tourney - the first team ever to do so in its first three years of eligibility.
· SDSU has an enrollment of 12,816; Xavier 7,000.
· SDSU has won eight in a row; Xavier 18 straight.
· Xavier is ranked fifth in the nation.
· The Musketeers were 14-0 in the Atlantic 10 Conference and won the conference tourney as well.
· Xavier's only losses came in December to Duke and Stanford.
· Xavier is led by two seniors from Indianapolis. The 6-foot-5 Amber Harris was the conference player of the year with 18.8 points and 10.3 rebounds per game. The 6-foot-6 Ta'Shia Phillips was the conference defensive player of the year with 15.9 point and 12.4 rebounds per game.
· For the second year in a row, Harris and Phillips are finalists for the DI player of the year award.
· Harris has 2,169 career points, 1,207 rebounds and 355 blocks.
· Phillips has 1,857 career points, 1,529 rebounds and 203 blocks.
· This will be the first meeting between Xavier and SDSU.
· The SDSU leader is senior Kristin Rotert of Salem. She is 10th on the all-time SDSU career scoring list with 1,428 points. Rotert has 249 three-pointers for her career, one behind school leader Brenda Davis (250 from 2001-04).
· SDSU junior Jill Young of Mitchell Christian has made 44 percent (44 of 112) of her three-pointers this season. She has 219 career threes.
· Other South Dakotans on the SDSU roster: Ashley Eide of Sioux Falls Washington, Tara Heiser of Watertown, Katie Lingle and Steph Paluch of Pierre and Jennifer Schuttloffel of Sioux Falls Roosevelt.