After two people died of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis in 2011, CDC investigators visited the patients' homes and tested water samples to see if N. fowleri was present in their neti pots. They recorded results in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.
COMMENTING POLICY:Readers are encouraged to post comments that are germane to the article. We reserve the right to remove any user, and to delete comments that contain abusive language or personal threats, as well as those that are racist or demeaning. Readers may report comments by clicking "Report Abuse." Once a comment has been flagged, a Baltimore Sun staffer will investigate. Click here for more information on commenting.