Another holiday season is upon us -- time to search for gifts, bargains and great deals. Here are some important online shopping safety tips to keep in mind.
1. Look for the https:// - the s stands for secure... Also look for a lock or similar icon to indicate you are on a safe site.
2. Use anti-virus software and tools on all computers to detect and remove viruses and keyloggers that can steal customers' identities when using their bank or credit cards online.
3. Use anti-phishing software - most reputable anti-virus programs contain anti-phishing software and alerts that help detect phishing scams.
4. Secure your wireless network with a password to make sure others cannot access your personal information without your knowledge and permission.
5. Choose a password by combining different numbers, letters and symbols. Remember, the longer the password the better. be sure to log off of a web site after completing an online transaction.
6. Take action immediately if you suspect identity theft. Contact your credit card company, your bank, all three credit reporting agencies and the police.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun