• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 1 / 2 cups (1 / 4-inch-thick) slices Spanish onions
• 1 / 8 teaspoon salt
• 1 / 8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
• 1 1 / 2 pounds well-chilled, well-trimmed (no blood lines or sinews) fresh sushi-grade tuna, coarsely ground or finely diced*
• 1 / 2 cup ( 1 / 8-inch-thick) slices green part only scallions
• 1 1 / 2 teaspoons minced ginger root
• 1 / 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
• Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
• 3 tablespoons canola oil
• 1 / 4 cup Asian Glaze (recipe given)
Assemble and Garnish:
• 4 sandwich buns (we used Pepperidge Farm Classic Sandwich Buns with Sesame Seeds), split and toasted
• 8 teaspoons butter
• 8 teaspoons Wasabi Mayonnaise (recipe given)
• 1 1 / 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
• 4 nice green leaf lettuce leaves
• 1 cup pickled ginger, squeezed dry**
To make onions: In a large heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper and stir well to coat with the melted butter. Continue cooking 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning and ensure even cooking, until the onions turn golden brown.
Transfer the onions to a parchment-lined small baking pan (ours was 11 1 / 2-by-7 1 / 2-by-1-inches) and let cool. Can stay at room temperature, lightly covered, up to 4 hours.
To make burgers: In a stainless steel bowl (this keeps the fish colder than a glass bowl), gently fold together the tuna, scallions, ginger root and cayenne pepper until well combined.
Form into 4 burgers about
3 1 / 2 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When you are sure the oil is hot, place the burgers in the pan and quickly sear the first side 1 minute.
Turn the burgers over, reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes or until the burgers are medium rare (or to your liking). Remove from the heat and brush the surfaces of each with about a tablespoon glaze.
To assemble: Brush the cut side of each of the toasted bun halves with a teaspoon butter. Spread a teaspoon Wasabi Mayonnaise evenly on each side of the buttered buns.
Place 1 / 3 cup shredded cabbage on the bottom half of each bun and place a leaf of lettuce on the top half of each bun.
Place a quarter of the Caramelized Onions on top of the leaf lettuce. Place the burgers on the bottom half. Place 1 / 4 cup pickled ginger on top of each burger. Place a top and bottom roll on each plate and serve. Makes
Per serving: 674 calories, 46 percent calories from fat, 35 grams total fat, 11 grams saturated fat, 115 milligrams cholesterol, 42 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams total fiber, 12 grams total sugars, 38 grams net carbs, 46 grams protein, 880 milligrams sodium.
* Ask your butcher to trim and chop the tuna or chop it yourself in a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
** Available in some supermarkets, gourmet shops and Asian markets.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun