A delicious combination of sweet and spicy flavors and a variety of textures contribute to this special dish. Make the Salmon Rub, Vinaigrette Dressing and Fried Onion Flour (recipes given) several hours ahead
• 4 teaspoons Salmon Rub (recipe given)
• 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless salmon fillets each just under 1 inch thick
• Vegetable oil (we used canola), for brushing the pan and for deep frying
• 1 (4 1 / 2 -ounce) sweet onion, ends trimmed and onion cut into 1 / 8-inch-thick slices
• 1 / 3 to 1 / 2 cup Fried Onion Flour (recipe given)
• 8 cups loose-packed mixed field greens (we used bagged Dole Field Greens)
• 2 / 3 cup Vinaigrette Dressing (recipe given)
• 1 1 / 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
Use about 1 / 2 teaspoon rub to coat each side of each salmon fillet, rubbing it in well. Lightly brush a large, heavy grill pan with vegetable oil. Heat pan over medium-high heat about 2 minutes or until heat rises strongly from it.
Place the prepared salmon crosswise on the ridges in the pan and let it cook 2 to 3 minutes or until nicely browned and "grill marked." Turn the fish over and cook another 1 1 / 2 to 2 minutes or until just cooked through.
Watch carefully as the sugar in the rub can burn quickly. (You may want to reduce the heat to medium when you turn the fish.)
Remove fish to a warm platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep it warm while you assemble the rest of the dish.
To fry the onions, in a large saucepan, heat about 2 inches vegetable oil to 360 degrees. Separate the sliced onions into rings and toss them in a bowl with enough Fried Onion Flour to coat (we used about 1 / 3 cup flour mixture).
Shake off the excess flour from the onion rings before dropping them by the handful into the hot oil. Do not crowd, this may have to be done in batches. Fry 1 1 / 2 to 2 minutes or until crisp and brown. Drain well on paper towels. Repeat until all have been fried.
To serve, toss the greens in a large bowl with the Vinaigrette Dressing. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Place a salmon fillet on top of each. Garnish each with 1 / 3 cup chopped tomatoes and a portion of the fried onions rings. Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 650 calories, 62 percent calories from fat, 45 grams total fat, 6 grams saturated fat, 108 milligrams cholesterol, 19 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams total fiber, 9 grams total sugars, 16 grams net carbs, 42 grams protein, 825 milligrams sodium.