Summer Sale Extended! Get unlimited digital access for 13 weeks for $13.
The Baltimore Sun

Dry Tortugas history

In 1513, Juan Ponce de León discovered the islands located about 70 miles west of Key West. He called them Las Tortugas because of their abundance of large sea turtles. The word "dry" was added later to warn mariners of the lack of fresh water on the island.

Because of Dry Tortugas' strategic location in the Florida Straits, the U.S. military started the construction of Fort Jefferson in 1846. However, the invention of the rifled cannon made the fort obsolete and it was never completed.

During the Civil War, Union warships used the harbor in their campaign to blockade Southern shipping. The fort was also used as a prison, mainly for Union deserters.

In 1992, the islands became Dry Tortugas National Park in an effort to protect their historical and natural features.

Information provided by the National Park Service Web site.

Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
  • Fort Jefferson Information

    New Page 1 Fort Jefferson Admission   The fee is included on  the boat or plain ride to  Garden Key   Phone 352.242.7700 305.224.4255   Address Garden Key   Hours Fort Jefferson closes at dark.   Web site National Park Service: Dry Tortugas      

  • After closing Baltimore's jail, Md.'s new corrections chief eyes other reforms

    After closing Baltimore's jail, Md.'s new corrections chief eyes other reforms

    The cells inside the Baltimore City Detention Center are decrepit — with two detainees confined in a space barely big enough for one. The showers are filthy. The plumbing frequently leaks.

Comments
Loading
61°