- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
Hearts of Palm Salad:
- 2 (14-ounce) cans hearts of palm, drained and cut into rounds
- 2 (13.75-ounce) cans artichoke, drained and quartered
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 heads curly endive or chicory, washed and dried
To make vinaigrette: In a small container with lid, combine all ingredients. Seal the lid and shake vigorously until well combined. Adjust seasoning. Set aside. Can be made up to 1 week ahead and refrigerated.
To make salad: In a nonreactive bowl, combine hearts of palm, artichokes, cucumbers and red onions. Toss with vinaigrette to coat evenly. Arrange a few leaves of curly endive or chicory on individual salad plates and top with vegetables. Serve immediately. Makes 12 servings.
Per serving: 151 calories, 59 percent calories from fat, 10 grams total fat, no cholesterol, 1 gram saturated fat, 5 grams protein, 13 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams total fiber, 105 milligrams sodium.
Adapted from Our Latin Table (Bulfinch, 2003) by Fernando Saralegui.