- 3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 ounces stilton cheese, crushed with a fork
- A few drops Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Belgian Endive Salad:
- 3 heads belgian endive
- 1 small head radicchio, shredded
- 1 ounce stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium anjou pear, peeled, cored and julienned*
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
To make vinaigrette: Combine vinegar, stilton, Worcestershire, salt and pepper in a nonreactive bowl. Slowly whisk in the walnut oil and the olive oil to make an emulsion.
To make salad: Julienne 2 endive heads. Toss the julienned endive, radicchio, stilton, half the pears and half the walnuts. Add the dressing and toss to combine.
Place mixture in the center of each of 8 plates. Arrange whole belgian endive leaves around the edge of each plate. Place remaining pears and nuts on top of salads. Sprinkle with chives. Makes 8 servings.
* If salad will sit for any length of time, toss pears in a mixture of lemon juice and water to prevent browning.
Per serving: 239 calories, 75 percent calories from fat, 7 grams protein, 12 grams carbohydrates, 8 grams total fiber, 20 grams total fat, 8 milligrams cholesterol, 196 milligrams sodium.